Thursday, May 24, 2012

24 May, 2012

It's fitting that the first entry on this blog is about the judgment that took place at Courtroom 15, at the High Court in Auckland today when Wairere Tame Iti was incarcerated after being found guilty of six firearms charges stemming from a series of raids that took place around the country on October 15, 2007. After learning of the verdict, contacting friends and reading various facebook and twitter commentary I am left feeling overwhelmingly sad.  Sad for Tame, his sons, his whanau, my mates, my people, myself and if I dig real deep maybe even this nation.

Today, Tame Iti was made an example of. The crown was left with no choice but to imprison one of the most high-profile activists and who they have been trying to get for years.  Years. This was but the outcome of the Colin McCahon painting debacle, all the protest actions he has been at the forefront for years (Tasman, Taiarahia, Jet boating) but more significantly it's payback for being a pain in the police/ Crown/State arse. The sentence of two and half years is harsh for someone who has never been in trouble with the law to this extent before and contributed to his community and whether the judge took that into consideration when sentencing...well...This will affect Tame Iti forever.  It will limit his international travel.  How will he enter the US or even Australia now with a firearms conviction and having served time? This is the States way of clipping wings. Like I said payback. 

Tame Iti has been careless with our integrity, my integrity as he uri o Tuhoe. We are forever demonised because of the police attention that rained down upon my people because of Tame and the kaupapa  hijacking idiots who associated themselves with him. (I will never ever find terrorist jokes funny) And that pisses me off no end but the state brutality with the obvious racist motivation behind the sentence angers yet doesn't surprise me.  Because as someone who pushes the boundaries (hell who doesn't when they question the patriarchy and its privileged position), I know the experience (as maybe you do) of having an institution rain its judgment and punishment upon your head. It's a way of ensuring you YOU never forget whose in charge. But really, how the hell can we? My mere existence is a reminder. I am the survival of my people.  As is Tame and tonight I'll shed a tear for him because tomorrow the fight continues because...we are the struggle

Kia kaha, kia maia, kia manawanui
Ka whawhai tonu matou. Ake, ake, ake!



No comments:

Post a Comment